News/Data

A Message from Mayor Willey

On Friday at 5 p.m., I suspended the restrictions to outdoor cafe dining.  This is consistent with Governor Hogan’s orders and the recommendations of the CDC.  As a result, our restaurants have begun opening for outside dining. Over the past weeks, the Town of Easton, the Easton Economic Development Corporation and Discover Easton have been […]

Read More »

How did your office have to adapt to this new COVID-19 environment?

How did your office have to adapt to this new COVID-19 environment? We spoke to Rich Tripp, Managing Partner at Avon-Dixon Insurance Agency. Rich Tripp: We were able to move the entire company (68 folks and three locations) to a remote environment, 90% almost overnight. The remaining 10% took a few days longer because some […]

Read More »

Interview With Beth Haschen, Owner Of Levity, N Harrison St., Easton

EEDC: After having to close in March, you continued to sell your boutique clothing line and connect with your customers through Instagram and Facebook posts. Now that you’re being allowed to reopen, will you continue to expand your digital footprint? Beth Haschen: Before all this began, my goal was to have an online presence as […]

Read More »

Interview with Marilyn Neal, Executive Director of the Neighborhood Service Center

EEDC: Tell us a bit about your organization? Marilyn Neal: Neighborhood Service Center (NSC), Inc. is the designated Community Action Agency for Talbot County and has served low-income families and individuals for over 50 years. The purpose of NSC is to provide a wide range of services that will assist individuals in crisis while removing […]

Read More »

Best Practice: Retailing in the Time of COVID-19

QUESTION OF THE WEEK As the owner of a retail business, how have you adapted to all the directives and guidelines as you re-opened last week? We spoke Joan Nubie, owner of The Treasure Chest in Oxford. The store, which represents 26 local artists, features artwork, jewelry, and gifts. Joan Nubie: After the shutdown, I […]

Read More »

Interview with Cassandra Vanhooser, Talbot County Department of Economic Development and Tourism

EEDC: For the past few weeks, your organization has been holding bi-weekly private sector conference calls, helping businesses with information and resources during this crisis. How did the idea for this come about? Cassandra Vanhooser: Credit goes to Clay Stamp, our Director of Emergency Services, I’m part of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) team, and […]

Read More »

Census Response Update

If you have cabin fever and want to do something that could really make a difference in your community during the stay-at-home directives, consider completing your 2020 Census. If you have cabin fever and want to do something that could really make a difference in your community during the stay-at-home directives, consider completing your 2020 […]

Read More »

Interview with Matthew Peters, Executive Director of Chesapeake Multicultural Resource Center (CHESMRC)

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.  EEDC: Aren’t you one of only a few agencies providing services to a multi-cultural population in Talbot County? Matthew Peters: We’re the only organization that focuses specifically on the uniqueness of the immigrant experience and the unique obstacles and challenges that come with newcomers to our […]

Read More »

Interview with Talbot County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Kelly Griffith

EEDC: The schools have been confronted with extraordinary challenges: Having to deliver learning to their students, but now in a digitized environment.  How is this going?  Dr. Griffith: We are very fortunate that we had people many years ago that had the foresight to start obtaining devices for our school system. And we’ve continued that […]

Read More »

Interview with Talbot County Health Officer, Dr. Fredia Wadley

This interview has been edited for length and clarity. EEDC: Right now, everyone wants to know when we can go back to normal life. How can this happen?   Dr. Wadley: The number one thing is cases decreasing for 14 days. Keep in mind that not every place may be reopening at the same time. […]

Read More »